Every single week you hear talk of coaches that are destined to be fired. One week the boosters and fans of the school are talking about who’s next. What coach could they possibly get to turn their program around. The next week things could completely change.
Once a month we’ll be breaking down which coaches are destined to get fired and which coaches have saved their jobs with their backs against the wall.
- Kevin Sumlin- Kevin Sumlin was a dead man walking in College Station. Everyone you talked to said he was almost certainly done as the head coach of Texas A&M. Then they played Alabama pretty tight in Tuscaloosa. The next week they went into Gainesville and beat Florida in the Swamp. I’m not saying Kevin Sumlin has for sure saved his job but it’s sure looking like he’s heading in that direction. If the Aggies finish second in the SEC West behind Alabama with a 9-3 or 10-2 record Kevin Sumlin will be walking the sidelines in College Station again.
- Jim Mora – Josh Rosen. With a quarterback the caliber of Josh Rosen UCLA and Jim Mora should be better than 3-3. The biggest thing working against Jim Mora may be the rumors of Chip Kelly. If UCLA thinks they can get a coach the caliber of Chip Kelly in Los Angeles next year you can pretty much pack Jim Mora’s bags. At this point in the season it looks like this will be Jim Mora’s last season as the head man of the Bruins.
- Butch Jones- He’s gone. He has to be. Tennessee is the definition of mediocre under Jones. They are also absolutely brutal to watch. It’s time to make a change in Knoxville. What the Vols have to do this time is make sure they get a top-tier top flight head coach to turn the ship around. They can’t settle for another Derek Dooley or another Butch Jones, they need a major coach from a major school. Or maybe Jon Gruden?
- Mike Riley- Just like Butch Jones he’s gone. Nebraska has already hired a new AD which almost certainly means a death sentence. Riley was a never a fit in Lincoln. I bet Nebraska fans and boosters are wishing they never let Bo Pelini go at this point? 9-3 or 10-2 every year sounds pretty good doesn’t in Husker fans? Nebraska has to get a coach in there that will turn Nebraska back to it’s roots. Great Defense and running the ball, that’s Nebraska football. Not Mike Riley style. Maybe Mike Riley can go back to Oregon St for the third time?
- Ed Orgeron- His win against Auburn this past Saturday may have gotten Orgeron off of life support. His team looks like it’s coming around. If they can play better in the second half of the year I’d guess Orgeron gets a second year in Baton Rouge. I still don’t think he’s long for this world. He is never going to keep that program at the level that Les Miles did before him.
By the end of November you never know where these guy will stand. Kevin Sumlin could be fully back on the hot seat or he could be off. Jim Mora could be gone at UCLA. Maybe someone else will join the list?